How about a quick history lesson? Don’t worry, there won’t be a quiz, just a quick burst of information you may or may not ever need to learn. The IEEE 1394 interface was first developed in the late 1980s and early 1990s by Apple as a replacement for parallel connections. They quickly nicknamed it FireWire, because they seem to have a particular fondness for the elements. They can also be found under a variety of names including IEEE 1394, FireWire, iLink, and DV. Today, they are a popular alternative to USB and can be found on many computers- not just Macs- as well as hard drives, CD burners, and digital cameras. One of the advantages over USB is FireWire doesn’t require the use of a computer as a middleman. Each FireWire device is uniquely capable of communicating directly with another.
The Going Rate
FireFold carries cables for three types of FireWire: 4-pin, 6-pin, and 9-pin. These different FireWire ends represent the evolution of the cable as a whole. Although they are all inter-compatible, they indicate different data transfer speeds and you will, in most cases, only be able to work with the lowest available transfer rate. Both 4-pin and 6-pin interfaces can transfer up to 400 Mbps while the 9-pin configuration can handle 800Mbps. The FW-44-BLK is a straight 4-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable with a peak transfer speed of 400 Mbps.
This cable can be used under the Windows or Mac OS platforms for a flawless plug and play experience. Twisted pair construction and a molded strain relief boot mean this cable is designed for the demanding needs of a professional. The durable heads fit snugly in place for a firm connection and the best speeds possible. With FireFold’s signature lifetime warranty, you can expect this cable to perform perfectly for as long as you own it.
- (1) 4 Pin FireWire Cable in your choice of 3, 10, or 15ft length
- SIMPLE PLUG & PLAY USE. Perfect for quick data transfer with no setup.
- 400 MBPS FAST. Lightning fast digital audio and video transfer.
- DURABLE CONNECTORS. Molded strain relief boots ensure cable lasts a lifetime.
- KNOWS NO LIMITS. Both Windows and Mac compatible.
- A LIFETIME OF REASSURANCE. Comes with the FireFold Signature Lifetime Warranty against defects in workmanship.
- Sony i.Link & Apple FireWire Devices Compatible
- Data Transfer Speed: Up to 400Mbps
- Connectors: 4 Pin Plug to 4 Pin Plug
- Length: Available in 3, 10, and 15ft
- Jacket Color: Black
- RoHS Compliant