Are you in the market for a new action camera? Today there are tons of options from which to choose, so we’re going to make it easy by narrowing it down to two. When it comes to quality action cameras, there are two that stand out above the rest: the GoPro vs SJCAM. They both have strengths and weaknesses that we’re going to explore here.
GoPro, The Known Champion
The GoPro is one of the most widely-recognized action cameras and for good reason. They’ve taken the world by storm and continue to improve with each new iteration. Check out these pros and cons:
- Easily-mountable – These cameras can be mounted almost anywhere. You’ve probably seen countless YouTube videos of GoPro footage where the camera was strapped to a bike helmet, a surfboard, or even a furry best friend. The options are endless, which makes your potential for footage endless as well.
- Great quality – This tiny camera is small but mighty. The video quality will differ depending on the exact model you choose, but all models have 4k video. More expensive models will tout more impressive video features, but even the introductory model packs an impressive visual punch. See a full comparison of video features for each model on their site.
- Wide lens – The wide-angled lens on the GoPro makes it a great choice for capturing landscapes and group shots without missing any of the great detail around the edges or having to squeeze together to get everyone and everything in the frame.
- Price – Depending on the model you’re eyeing, you should be ready to shell out a pretty penny to bring one of these home with you. While prices fluctuate, you should look to spend between $200 to $500 on one.
- No Zoom – The GoPro doesn’t come with an option to zoom in and out, which doesn’t make it a great choice for people looking for a great all-around camera.
- No Viewfinder – The lack of a viewfinder may be more of a problem for some people than for others. If you don’t mind waiting until you get home to check out your footage, then you can cross this item off your list.
SJCAM, The Underdog
The SJCAM is a notable rival of the GoPro line of action cameras. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of this popular little camera.
- Price – The SJCAM comes on the market at a much lower price than some of its competitors. You can get an SJCAM for as low as $62, which makes it a budget-friendly option for someone looking to get into the world of action cams.
- WiFi Capabilities – This cam comes with built-in WiFi capabilities, which is great for those who want to connect their Android or iPhone to it. With tons of cool apps available on the different app stores, you can get a lot of bang for your buck.
- Removable Battery – The battery on the SJCAM is removable, so you can bring a few spare batteries with you for longer trips. Extra batteries are pretty cheap, running anywhere from $6-$10. This is worth the convenience of not having to plug in every time the battery gets low.
- Video quality – The SJCAM’s video quality isn’t as impressive as some of its competitors. It can take videos in 2K at 30fp, which is slightly lower quality than its more expensive predecessors.
- Price – Yes, the price is listed as both a pro and a con for this cam. The SJCAM is available in several different models, and some of the higher-end models are encroaching in price to some of the higher-end rivals, which may require you to think carefully about the features you really want and care about.
At the end of the day, these are both fantastic devices that will make most any traveler happy. Do your research and choose a cam that best fits your needs, activities, and budget.